Eligibility for Driver Safety Course

If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to have your citation dismissed by taking a Driving Safety Course (DSC). You are allowed to take a DSC once a year for a ticket dismissal for most moving violations, except:

  • Speeding 25 mph or more above the posted speed limit
  • Leaving the scene of a collision
  • Passing a school bus
  • Any moving violation in a construction zone with workers present

To be eligible to request this course you:

  • Must not have taken a driving safety course for a dismissal within 12 months from the date of the offense
  • Must not be currently taking the course for another traffic offense
  • Must not have a commercial driver’s license

To request this option your request must be received or postmarked within 20 days of the date on your citation. At the time of your request you must:

  • Complete an affidavit form provided by us
  • Pay court costs ($139.00 for most violations)
  • Present a valid Texas driver's license
  • Show proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance)

Class completion time and follow up

If you are eligible and meet all the requirements you will be granted 90 days to:

  • Complete a driving safety course that has been approved by the Texas Education Agency. You may choose either a traditional classroom training course or an online course. Both are 6 hour classes.
  • Present your certificate of completion to the court.

    Allow up to 2 weeks for DPS to mail

    the certificate to you upon completion of the course.

  • Present a certified copy of your driving record. Be sure to request

    3A Certified

    from the Department of Public Safety. You may immediately print the record.

If you fail to provide the court with the required documents, you will have to appear at a Show Cause Hearing before a Municipal Court Judge to explain why you have failed to comply. If you fail to appear at the hearing, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and a conviction of the offense charged will be entered on your driving record.