Community Relations/Public Relations
The Community Relations/Public Relations Division collects and distributes timely information to a variety of interested parties across a number of platforms. External stakeholders include residents, media, other governmental bodies, businesses, and interested opinion leaders. Internal stakeholders include Lancaster employees, boards and commissions, the mayor, and City Council. A variety of tools are employed to inform and educate audiences, including printed materials, the city website, social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and the cable television network (Time Warner Cable - Channel 16).
The Community Relations/Public Relations Division is responsible for a variety of communications:
- Attending and representing the city at community functions, community meetings, civic organizations, and governmental groups.
- Coordinating city-wide special events and processing Special Event Applications.
- Promoting City sponsored and co-sponsored special events and activities through preparing program marketing materials, flyers, schedules of events, pamphlets, and brochures.
- Providing public information and education regarding various initiatives.
- Working closely with all departments to maintain up-to-date content on the city's website.
- Writing, producing, editing, and distributing internal and external newsletters, including Lancaster Live (weekly email), Lancaster Today (monthly newsletter), and the Lancaster Connection (quarterly newsletter), and other publications.
Our community relations division is the main media contact for the city and is responsible for a variety of communications:
- Coordinating media requests for public information and open records requests
- Managing media relations in a crisis or emergency situation
- Managing the function, design, and content on the city's cable access channel (Channel 16) that broadcasts Lancaster City Council meetings
- Overseeing and coordinating public information programs, including developing media relations and publicity activities to foster involvement and heighten awareness of city services and programs
- Overseeing, coordinating, and managing the Community Relations Division
- Writing, producing, editing, and distributing news releases and news tip sheets to inform the public and the media of programs, activities, and services